Blog Post #2

An example of non-digital multimedia and interactive experience that stands out to me during my educational career was a nature walk that my university professor conducted in my English 147 class. In this class, students were required to read a book entitled “Gardens Aflame” by a Victoria writer named Maleea Acker. To summarize, Maleea Acker describes the unique ecosystem and the people who dedicate their lives to saving Garry Oak trees and the environment. The writer described the Garry Oak environment and species as being in danger and at risk of becoming extinct. After reading the first couple of chapters of the book, I was unsatisfied and bored with the topic. However, mid-way through reading and dissecting the book as a class, our professor took us on a walk around the campus to show us the few Garry Oak trees that live on campus. While on the walk, our professor shared more facts about the trees on the UVIC campus specifically. Not only did this allow me to connect to the book from a more personal level, but it also allowed me to have a deeper understanding and view of the Garry Oak trees described in the book since I was able to view them firsthand. This non-digital multimedia and interactive experience in my English 147 class was very engaging and interesting and allowed to be to create a deeper connection to the material that I was reading. 

One Reply to “Blog Post #2”

1. Hey Emily, great post! Your example of an outdoor class is interesting and a different way to learn and understand class material. I find that all my classes only use digital material to deliver the class material. When learning about the environment, it is best to see it first hand, especially when it is so easy to go outside. I like to see pictures to help me understand but a lab, or nature walk where you can see the object in person is more useful to the learner.
    Thanks for sharing your experiences!